Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Which Is Greater, Satan Or Sin ?

This was a consideration I posed to a bible study group a few years ago. It was my hope to get people to consider their situation and where they are in their walk with God.
Which would you consider to be the greater, Satan or sin ? The answer perhaps could be found in another question, what do we fear more, Satan or sin. Our minds can easily identify the "enemy" by name and in most church settings we rally to cast out the demon(s) of our trials and tribulations.
I'm of the generation that remembers watching the Flip Wilson Show where the comedian would be dressed in a woman's dress and wig, saying, "The devil made me do it!" After all, it is easier to deflect blame and instead give our lack of accountability over to "someone" who has greater power over us.
I would suggest to you that that line, made famous by crossed-dressed Flip, was proclaimed way back in Genesis by two people standing naked behind some tree leaves, answering to the Almighty God.
It matters not whether you believe it was an actual apple or any other fruit, what does matter is if you do or do not believe that the Word of the Lord was disregarded for the simple desire instead to, "be like God".(Chp 3, vs. 4)
So now we fast forward to these same two individuals, now filled with shame and trying to hide their nakedness and hearing the Lord walking in the garden, calling for them. Verse 11 continues with God asking, "Who told you that you were naked ? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from ?"
Adam answers in classic male fashion, "The woman you put here with me she gave me some fruit from the tree and I ate it."
There wasn't a hint of remorse, he didn't ask for forgiveness, he wasn't sorry. He could only point at the woman and blame her.
Now the woman's turn to respond when God asked, "What is this you have done ?" She could not point back at Adam, her position was clear. She simply said, "The devil made me do it!" (vs.13, with poetic license)
The obvious statement is that the bible is full of stories of Satan's meddling and man's struggle, but this was at the very beginning. This set the bar pretty low.
If I were to ask you, "How much power does Satan have?" Hopefully, your answer would be, "Only as much as we allow him to have". See, God is the only one Who is omnipotent and omnipresent, all at the same time. If I say, "the devil made me do it!" then I have already given myself over to him and let the pity party begin.
But if I say that I am a sinner saved by Grace then I am no longer held as a slave to sin, but have been made free. Man sinned against God in the garden and continues to do so because it is man's desire to be like God. Where ever man may be, sin enters in with him and there is no place, this side of eternity, where man is free from sin and the judgment that is to follow. Church especially.
We could, not knowing, be drowning in a sea of sin, crying out, Where are you Satan? Show yourself so that I can have victory over this! Not likely to happen.
If, however, we cry out like Peter, "Lord, save me!" He is faithful to reach down and save us, even in the midst of a storm.
I would ask you to consider, again, which is the greater, Satan or sin ?
Hopefully this has, at the very least, caused you to pause and think where you are in the battle for your eternal soul. My love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment